To locate and maintain affordable and accessible homes for individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities in community oriented safe neighborhoods.
Housing Now is a coalition property managers, business people, affordable housing advocates, intellectual/ developmentally disabled client groups, service providers and local affordable housing real estate developers dedicated to expanding affordable and accessible housing options for persons with developmental disabilities.
What we do:
Housing Now was created through a generous grant from the Department of Developmental Services in October 2002.
Housing Now is actively seeking funding through Alta California Regional Center and other grants to provide the following services:
- 1:1 support to navigate the steps to seek, obtain, and retain quality affordable housing
- Provide housing resources education to clients, families, Supported Living Services (SLS) and Independent Living Services (ILS) organizations through 1:1 direct support and group education seminars
- Act as a stable contact and address for persons who have applied or are applying for housing
- Work with individuals with I/DD and their families to complete an Individual Housing Intake Assessment and create a plan to obtain a safe and affordable home
- Connect individuals and families resources for obtaining reasonable accommodations and home modifications to overcome physical challenges
- Work 1:1 with clients to overcome housing retention issues such as fair housing violations, lease violations etc…
Housing Now is committed to building relationships, and advocating for increased options for affordable housing for persons with I/DD. We offer educational classes and seminars for Alta California Regional Center clients, families and affordable housing agencies (other groups we educate) about the most current affordable housing options available, latest policy updates and the need for increased resources for ACRC clients to obtain and live independently in a safe and affordable home. We do this with the support of our membership partners, individual donors and community grant funds.
This commitment is met with the following services:
- Create and maintain a current up-to-date database of affordable housing options in the region
- Create and maintain a list of resources available for home modifications
- Provide outreach to ACRC consumers of services, ILS, SLS agencies, affordable housing organizations to inform them about current housing policy and advocacy opportunities to promote more options for persons with I/DD
- Educate the community about the living needs of people supported by ACRC to obtain safe and affordable housing options
- Partner with affordable housing organizations to expand options for persons with I/DD to obtain safe and affordable housing
- Resource for property managers/owners to find people who need accessible apartments
- Work with affordable housing real estate developers to create and expand subsidized living options
- Participate in the development of housing elements
- Keep database of people who need roommates
- Send out bi-annual newsletter, as well as postin our social media pages the latest housing policy updates and opportunities
- Conduct presentations statewide related to housing In the future, Housing Now anticipates providing resident coordination for the apartments that are set aside specifically for people supported by ACRC.